1080i Was: Re: [mythtv-users] Myth CVS + Alsa + S/PDIF

Rudy Zijlstra mythtv at edsons.demon.nl
Fri May 14 14:37:13 EDT 2004

James Armstrong wrote:

> It was just a generic $39 SIS 315 with 64Meg of ram. Just used a
> modeline I found for 1920x1080i and it worked out of the box without
> using the modified SIS driver I saw mentioned elsewhere. I plays video
> just fine. I went from 24 bit to 16 bit because the interface
> (graphics) were drawing a little sluggish. I was using the built in
> Intel Extreme2 but could not get it to even load any modelines, like
> the driver was ignoring them. The Intel chip is supposed to do
> interlace, it was really fast, the screensaver would bounce around
> with no problems. With the SIS the screen saver would chug along
> slowly. I don't know if

The linux intel driver is limited to 1600x1200, and if you want xv to be
enabled, at 1600x1200 at 60. Which is not nice on the eyes.

The 1600x1200 is a driver limit. I do not know whether the 60Hz for xv
is a driver or HW limit. Sigh, I have no skill for X11 driver
programming and no time. Otherwise would take a look, because the intel
can give quit good graphics, and fast.

Rudy