[mythtv-users] GUI Fonts and DPI

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Thu May 13 23:52:15 EDT 2004

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 08:07:47PM -0700, Darren Hart wrote:

> OK, lying to X about DisplaySize is how I am "solving" the
> problem now... but it doesn't seem ideal.  Is the problem that
> we have so many different usage models (desktops, huge plasma,
> tiny TV's, etc) that it isn't feasible to specify a default
> font size that looks right at the correct DPI?

It all depends on how far you're sitting from the screen.

At 24", Text 24 points tall is huge.  At 24 feet, it's not
readable.  The sharpness of the display and the visual angle
subtended are what really matter, and there's no way to tell
the X server enough that it can figure out what's readable for
you and what isn't.

> It seems to me that the vast majority of those using MythTV
> wouldn't ever want a 1/3" tall font?

One would think not.  AFAICT, the default settings require you
to be sitting about 6 feet from a 60" screen.

> Thanks for the feedback.  I suppose I could also just adjust
> the point sizes in Setup->Appearance?

IIRC, that only affects the font size in the setup menus
themselves, and doesn't affect the OSD or guide.

--
Grant