[mythtv-users] Recording from VHS

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Thu May 13 19:27:42 EDT 2004

Dan Goldberg wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been trying to record some videos (VHS) using MythTV and for the most
> part it's fine. However, the bottom inch or so of the picture is jumbled. I
> had thought it would be related to the resolution I'm capturing at, but I've
> tried 352x240 and a few other resolutions and it doesn't seem to have any
> effect.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas for things to try? I tried changing from us-cable
> to us-broadcast (having no idea whether that actually meant anything) but it
> had no effect. The VHS picture looks fine if I don't go through MythTV but
> when I record through MythTV I always get that bottom inch or so jumbled.
>
> I know I could always crop the bottom inch off but I'd prefer to not have to
> do that.

The garbage is probably in the scanlines near 480 coming from
the VCR. TV is designed for overscan so you don't normally see
the last few scanlines on screen. Changing the output resolution
of the recording won't change the fact that the garbage in in the
bottom of the input signal. So, yes, you do need to crop to get
rid of it.

Assuming you have a separate channel for the VCR input, you could
use myth's "crop" filter for recordings on that channel.

--  bjm