[mythtv-users] "Channelized" camera feeds for Myth

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Thu May 13 15:32:07 EDT 2004

>I'm trying to come up with a video survellance method that uses Myth for
>doing monitoring of rooms in a Daycare...  Myth would record the cameras
>from 6am to 6:30pm M-F and the Motion app would be working the rest of the
>time to look for intruders and such...

So why have the time restriction?  Just have them on permanent motion
detection.  Or were you thinking Myth would record an entire days' worth
of activity regardless of movement?  Can myth do time-lapse type recording?

>I'm thinking that if there was some way to setup "channelized" video.
>Like Channel 1 be one camera, channel 2 be another, etc...

So you'd need that many tuner cards, right?  Or would it cycle through them?
Or would the one detecting motion start recording when motion was detected?

>This would be successful in using Myth the way it was intended.. with
>channels.  As well as being easy to maintain, it'd be scalable (I think).
>
>However, I don't know if a "Channelizer" exists, or even if it
>does, what it's called...

I think it's a multiplexer.  But if each channel was a camera, would
you want each channel going separately into the myth box, or would
want them segmented on one screen so you could see all channels
at the same time?  I think there is already hardware that exists
to either segment or "scroll" through all the video feeds.  Sounds
like a good idea, even for a hmoe install of this.  I've been thinking
about getting some wireless cameras and putting them under the
eaves of my house, but the cost of a time lapse VCR is almost $1,000.
Using a homebrew myth box at about $400-$700 would be awesome,
and I could use it as a myth box too boot.

Paul