[mythtv-users] Ideal Myth Frontend HW? Infinium Labs Phantom Console

Bill Bradley wbradley at bham.rr.com
Thu May 13 10:18:55 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 08:31, Jeff C wrote:
> Saw this on www.gizmodo.com
>
> Thought it would make an ideal Myth front end:
>
> Infinium Labs creeps tentatively out of the morass of lawsuits and
> speculation today to finally reveal some hard facts about the machine that
> sees itself less as a gaming console and more of an interface to a gaming
> experience. Billing itself as a "game receiver," the Phantom (now with an
> AMD Athlon XP 2500+ and Nvidia GeForce FX 5700 Ultra, 256MB of RAM, and a
> 40GB hard drive) will be included for free to two-year subscribers of
> Infinium's gaming network ($29.95 a month), where premium games can be
> downloaded for an additional cost or rented for around $5. The hardware is
> also available without subscription for $200 (bring on the hacks!)
>
> Infinium Labs plans to formally display the console at this year's E3
> (starts tomorrow). It's interesting to notice from the pictures that there
> is only a single USB port up front. I guess the included game controllers
> and keyboards will just have to daisy-chain.
>
> http://www.infiniumlabs.com/
>
> -Jeff

Sounds cool, but I doubt it will make it.  There has been
mega-controversy surrounding this company.  Check out
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTEy for more info. And come on,
$29.95 a month to play games? I know I am gonna get flamed for this one,
but we are talking linux right.  Who is this guy gonna line up to
develop games or are they gonna stream frozen bubble and xbill to your
house?  Why pay that when you can buy Doom 3(this Summer), RtCW, or use
WineX.  That being said , I would still buy one for $200 bucks just to
use as a frontend.  Hopefully the release a product and after it tanks,
we can get them for $100 on eBay..... Just my 2cents.