[mythtv-users] Can't load bttv module

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue May 11 23:50:30 EDT 2004

Mike Diehl (Encrypted email preferred) wrote:

>Hi all.
>
>I'm trying to get the bttv module to load for my PVR 250.  When I do the
>insmod, I get:

The PVR-250 does not use the bttv module.  It has a hardware-based
MPEG-2 encoder; whereas cards supported by bttv are "frame grabbers"
which require software-based encoding.

Instead, you'll need to use IvyTV ( http://ivtv.sourceforge.net/ )
modules.  I highly recommend signing up for the IvyTV ML's (
http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=73219 ) and check out the Wiki (
http://ivtv.sourceforge.net/tiki/tiki-index.php ) for help configuring
your card.  Configuring PVR-x50's is still something of an art, and
development is occuring at an extremely rapid pace, so the lists are
invaluable.

Note that you will need to use the tuner module from the bttv project
(which you've already got since you were using bttv).

Mike