[mythtv-users] Strange sound problem...

Steffen Schlink goincrazy at gmx.net
Tue May 11 13:57:57 EDT 2004

I have a strange sound problem...

First some details:
iP4 2.6GHz on a i865 mainboard, 512Megs, a few Gigs of harddiskspace,
Soundblaster Audigy 2, a WinTV 350 PVR and a cheap GeForce card.

This baby runs Slackware current with a custom kernel and ALSA installed
  from sources. ivtv 0.1.9 works too, a cat /dev/video > somefile.mpg
gives me a MPEG video with sound, that plays smoothly everywhere.
Mythtv was completly installed from scratch with native support for ALSA
and LIRC.

I'm using mythtv for about a week, nearly everything works like charm,
except one thing: if I'm trying to view LiveTV or a recorded TVshow I
can't get any sound out of my box. Video plays smooth. But Mythmusic
gives me sound without any changes...
Watching a recorded TVshow using mythvideo (mplayer) gives me video
_and_ sound.

I found mplayer uses an ALSA device for sound, I tried to set
AudioOutputdevice in mythtv manual to ALSA:<someoutputdevice> (I tried
more than one!) in the database and restarted mythbackend/frontend, but
still no luck.

mythtv uses the ALSA device (at least it says it does, there is no
errormessage) but I can't get sound (a simple ~$ aplay foo.wav works).
Same with a /dev/dsp setting for AudioOutputdevice - no sound with tv
related stuff.

In short: sound works everywhere (music, video) except in the tv module!

Someone any ideas?