[mythtv-users] Optimum encoding for remote mythtv

Wayde Milas wmilas at rarcoa.com
Mon May 10 12:39:27 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-10 at 10:57, Boyd II, Willy wrote:

> Not sure if this has been addressed yet, as I just caught this reply and
> I'm not using threaded messaging.... but:
>
> You won't help your download times be leaving the bitrate the same.  Th
> The only thing that will change by reducing the resolution, is slightly
> better quality on a TV, because you're encoding less pixels, but more
> information about them.  Make sense?  I can't think of a better laymen's
> way to explain but someone else probably can.
>
> So I would suggest doing both:  reduce resolution to, say, 352x480, and
> drop the resolution a bit until you find it just acceptable to watch.
> i.e. 2000kbps might look really bad at 720x480, but not quite so bad at
> 352x480.

While this is most definately true, I might suggest what someone else
mentioned.

Record the programs at 720x480 at 8/12/16000 per second. Make sure you
get a good record of the program. The idea here is not to transfer the
file but get as a high of quality digital stream that you can handle to
start with.

Next, use mencoder, or the transcode options of mythtv. transcode it
over to mpeg4 maybe with ogg sound or somesuch. as far as the video, you
can then reduce it to something smaller and limit the bitrate down to 1k
or 1.5k. An mpeg4 stream will have the same quality as a meg 4 stream at
the same resolution and a much lower bit rate. The downside is that the
transcode will take some time to complete if you dont ahve a beefy cpu.
The upside is your file transfers wil lbe MUCH faster for the same
quality of video.