[mythtv-users] HDTV Patch Feedback

XKE GUY xke_guy at pacbell.net
Sat May 8 19:24:50 EDT 2004

I've applied some of Daniel's HDTV patches with very
good success.  I want to thank Daniel for providing
these patches, as they've allowed me make a useable
system.

Here are the specifics of my system.
Athlon XP 2400, ECS K7VTA3 MB, 512MB RAM, 250GB HD,
Geforce4 VGA, pcHDTV, custom 2.4.21 kernel, chaintech
sound card w/ optical out.

I've applied the following patches to the May 7th 4:00
PM PST CVS:  xvmc-playback-v2.patch,
hdtv-recorder-v6.patch, hdtv-signalcheck-v7.patch.

Now hdtv recordings playback almost flawlessly.
During a one hour show I might have only 2 or 3 little
"glitches".  These glitches might have a small
checkerboard pattern for just half a second.  When I
skip ahead or back, the audio and video stutter until
the OSD has faded.  When the camera pans fast I
sometimes see wavy artifacts.  This seems to be more
apparent on 1080i material (CBS) than 720p material
(NBC).  I'm running about 35% cpu utilization.  This
is great, this is more than useable for me.

When I tune to a digital channel that isnt showing
16:9 HDTV material, I have audio glitches.  This would
be a 4:3 screen inside the 16:9 window (like TV news
or a talk show, any non-HD material).  The audio has
terrible stutters.  This stuttering occurs on PBS,
ABC, CBS, UPN, and Fox.  The stuttering does not occur
on the WB and NBC.  Both the WB and NBC channel are
owned by the same company and broadcast from the same
tower.  This stuttering does not occur on HD material.
 Mythfrontend and backend give no errors.  When run in
verbose mode, mythfrontend says "Audio thread waiting
for buffer to fill fragment_size=4096, audiolen=4096".
 Again, this stuttering doesnt occur on true HD
material.  I am using the optical output of my sound
card.  I do not have "AC3 output" in Mythtv setup.  I
do have "Agressive Buffering" and "Extra Buffering"
enabled.  Changing these seems to make no difference
or other options seems to not help.

Live TV has some issues.  The OSD seems to really
botch up playback on live streams.  If I go directly
to "Watch TV" it pops up the picure and everything is
fine (because it never brings up the OSD).  If I
change channels the OSD come ups and everything starts
to stutter and slow.  Sometimes it doesnt ever catch
up and the frontend crashes or just displays a picture
at 1 frame per second.  Even when the OSD disappears,
it won't "catch".

The hdtv-recorder-v7 patch did not work at all for me.
 Whenever I tried to record something from Fox or PBS
mythbackend seg faulted immediately.  V6 does not
crash, and works great with my setup.