[mythtv-users] Software suspend (swsusp2)

Henk Poley hpoley at dds.nl
Fri May 7 17:20:38 EDT 2004

I thought I'd share my experience with using swsusp2 (can be found at
http://swsusp.sf.net/ ). Installing swsusp2 is fairly straightforward when
you are familiar with kernel compilation, you will probably need vanilla
kernel sources for the patches to work. Everything is pretty good explained
on the website. btw, enable LZF compression, but do not enable gzip, it will
slow down the suspension process remarkably, it is only needed if you have a
small swapspace.

When you suspend the machine it brings down the network connections (eth0, and
maybe others), deamons depending on the net will be brought down by the
init / rc system. So don't forget to add mythbackend and other deamons you
need (sshd?) in the configuration file ( /etc/suspend.conf ). The startup of
the deamons after suspension doesn't work on Gentoo, on that distro you can
start the command "rc default" from the hiberbnate script to bring back the
system in the default runlevel and thus start all stopped deamons in
necessairy.

The stupidity with the MythTV 0.14's powersave feature is that you need to
stop MythFrontend before the backend will call the 'halting' scripts. So you
basicly can't build a system that will only show the frontend at all time,
while also shutting down the machine. Ah well, whouldn't mown, OSS, patch it,
etc.

As a rather ugly hack I made a little looping script like this:

---
#!/bin/bash

while [ 1 ]
do
  mythfrontend
  Xdialog --msgbox "Press PLAY to start the frontend (again)" 12 50
done
---

And told the other users that they should exit the frontend when not in use
("uh? why doesn't it go into standby automaticaly?"). When you now "killall
xdialog" from the hibernate script, the loop will restart mythfrontend. You
could probably make it more clean by saving the Xdialog PID somewhere and
killing only that PID.

I couldn't get swsusp2 to resume correctly on another machine, while using the
nVidia binary drivers and keeping X running, though YMMV. Other people are
using swsusp2 with nVidia cards. Yes, tried all the documented tricks.

Suspension was canceled on my MythTV system a couple of times when I tried. So
I am currently not using it. I was told it was probably fixed with a recent
patchset. But when it works for you it will save you a couple of valuable
seconds ;-) to boot the system, not to mention having the file caches already
filled and loaded.

	Henk Poley <><