[mythtv-users] Need advice: NYC = Scrambled Analog?

Michael Gargiullo gargiullo at comcast.net
Fri May 7 16:11:47 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-07 at 15:06, Z Rosen wrote:
> I currently have Time-Warner digital cable with their Scientific
> Atlanta Explorer 8000 POS PVR.  You'd think that after 3 years of this
> box being on the market they could have worked some bugs out.  They
> didn't and it forced me to say, hey I could build a better PVR.  So now
> that I've built my kick-ass MythTV box with multiple tuners I find that
> I can only view network stations.
>
> What to do...
>
> If I switch to analog service, T-W tells me that I'll still need a
> cable box.  Is it true that T-W NYC analog is all scrambled and/or is
> this just their way of getting more money by renting boxes?
>
> I've read on the list that some people in other locations with T-W
> digital were able to get analog channels as an add-on.  This doesn't
> seem to be available in NYC (at least its not advertised, anyone know
> differently?).
>
> Is there any feasible way to descramble the entire analog signal before
> it gets to the tuner cards?
> Is there any way to get this working besides getting multiple analog
> cable boxes and multiple IR-Blasters?
>
> I'd appreciate any help people can give, otherwise look for my MythTV
> box on eBay...
> -ZR

I work for a cable company, not TW, and no, not Comcast.  I will say
that we are slowly removing Analog Channels, and hope to remove analog
service altogether within the next 2 years.

With good reason. We can fit more digital channels then analog channels
in the same freq. Not that we're adding more HDTV stations, we need the
space.

You'll probably start to see this more and more in the next few years.