[mythtv-users] no sound for TV-related functions

David david at davidwadler.com
Fri May 7 14:39:35 EDT 2004

Hi All,

I've gotten (through a lot of suffering, but a lot of learning) my MythTV
box up-and-running.  DVD's work, the jukebox is a joy, and I can record,
playback, and pause live television.  The only problem is that sound
doesn't work for Live TV or recorded TV.  It's perfect with my
digital music, cds, and dvds.

Sound has been a lingering issue during this project as getting ALSA to
work was like pulling teeth.  However, I think everything else has been
resolved.  So here's where I stand.

Hardware:  BT878 tuner card
           Via VT8233/A/8235/8237 Audio (onboard)

I have an internal cable running from the tuner's audio-out to the onboard
AUX-IN.  I have another cable running from my DVD to the onboard CD-IN.
As I mentioned digital and CD sound work without a hitch.

I went to alsamixer and set "Line" to CAPTUR and muted it.
I then found "Capture" and set it to CAPTUR and set its volume to 100%.

I get no sound from the television.  If I unmute "Line," I get sound that
is out-of-sync with video, so I know that the pass-thru is working
correctly.  (As an aside, the quality is incredibly poor.)  I ran xawtv
and ran aplay on my different dsp devices.  Here's what happened:
/dev/dsp -  Playing raw data '/dev/dsp'....
            underrun!!! (at least 10.985 ms long)
            underrun!!! (at least 12.499 ms long)
	    (There was no sound.)
/dev/dsp1 - (No output and no sound.)
/dev/dsp2 - Playing raw data '/dev/dsp'...
            (There was no sound.)

I'm able to load the btaudio modules, but there is no change in sound.
I've looked extensively through the mailing list archives and on google,
and have tried many of the approaches that others have taken, but with no
success.

-David
david-AT-davidwadler.com