[mythtv-users] Firewire Port on cable box?

Daniel Thor Kristjansson danielk at cat.nyu.edu
Fri May 7 02:32:46 EDT 2004

Yes, enabled but encrypted. Same FCC order both allows the cable
operator to encrypt over-the-air channels and requires them to provide
firewire out for customers that request it. So you'll have firewire out,
but unless you have a relationship with the cable operator's encryption
provider (Motorola, Atlanta Scientific, or Cable Labs) you won't get
access to the feed. All of them require NDA's which disallow open source
development and the first two charge an arm and a leg for access to the
documentation. I think they are hoping Cable Lab's OCAP will take off
and HDTV monitor makers will sign up for access.

OCAP uses a PCMCIA card to do all the decryption so you would rent a
PCMCIA key for each of your OCAP capable TV's from the cable company
that would allow the TV to show cable content sent over the firewire
port. Your cable tuner or OCAP PVR would also need a PCMCIA key.

-- Daniel