[mythtv-users] Re: Myth can't use two M179 cards at the same time

Woody Sturges wsturges at tranquility.net
Thu May 6 21:05:38 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 19:41, Axel Thimm wrote:

> > > You didn't say what version of the IVTV driver you're using.
> > >

> >   Sorry, the box was just recently built from Axel's stuff via Jarod's
> > guide, using the 'stock' atrpms (not 'bleeding').  Looks like ivtv is
> > 0.1.9.  Below is it's initialization info:
>
> I suggest trying bleeding. The ivtv drivers found there have a lot of
> added functionality including tuner per card and M179 patches.
>
> But they are still bleeding, so it could format your capture card,
> errr ... ;)
>
> Downgrading to stable releases is not an issue, so test the bleeding
> versions and please report which one worked for you.
>
> (And BTW this is probably better discussed at the ivtv lists)

I tried bleeding, and it was worse:

- Neither card would produce video (best case, static on one card)
- Depending on firmware, ivtv would crash on the second card during
modprobe (something about memory allocation - my SMP box has 2G of RAM,
maybe something there?).  I know, I should post the info to the ivtv
list, but my wife is pressuring me to get this new system up so we can
watch our local channels on Dish.  :)

I went back to 'testing' and got one card to work.  For now, I'm tired
of tinkering.  I'll put my second card in another backend and do it that
way (man, I hope it works).

Thanks to everyone for the help,
Woody