[mythtv-users] RE:Burning to DVD (saving MPEG clips)

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Wed May 5 13:14:11 EDT 2004

At 11:55 05/05/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>I also record with a PVR-250, and would like to edit and archive my
>recordings.
>I know this question has come up before, but I haven't been able to find a
>definitive answer.
>
>Is any software available that lets you edit out commercials and then resave
>the
>MPEG2 file, without requiring exporting separate audio and video files and
>then
>re-multiplexing them?

I've used VirtualDubMod (still the only piece of software that keeps me
locked into Windows - rather ironic that it's FOSS!) as well as a few other
windows demuxers to chop up MPEG2 files, but I've always exported them to
avi/ogm, since I find swapping DVD's to be far too much like hard work :^)

>I know that the nature of MPEG makes this non-trivial. But is there any way of
>doing it? I'd rather not have to have my machine spend long periods of time
>re-encoding or re-multiplexing a file when all I want to do is cut portions of
>the movie.

I'm just getting into the whole DVD thing on Linux - your best bet seems to
be Cinelerra, which seems the best featured editing suite under Linux so
far. Again, not done much with plain jane MPEG2, but it seems like it could
do the trick. Stability isn't it's strong point though.

>The other motivation behind this question is for home video conversion. I will
>be transfering a lot of home movies (currently on VHS) to my machine via the
>250 with the goal of burning them to DVD. I'd like to break the home movies
>into chapters. So again, it would be nice to be able to record a whole tape,
>open the file, select a segment, then save that segment as its own MPEG2 file.
>Again, it seems like this should not take a significant amount of processing
>time.
>
>Does anyone know if it is possible to do what I'm asking using currently
>available tools?

I am tobe doing a similar thing, only converting the files to XviD/ogm
rather than DVD MPEG2. It shall no doubt be written into my howto once
things are Just Working.