[mythtv-users] Re: mythmusic not responding to keys

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue May 4 23:19:08 EDT 2004

Peter Valdemar Mørch wrote:

> Lance Tost wrote:
>
>> I just ugpraded to .14 but had this problem with .13 too.
>> Whenever I try to pause, fast forward, rewind and some other various
>> functions while listening to an mp3, the interface (including the
>> visual) seems to freeze but the music keeps playing. It'll eventually
>> respond but something just isn't quite right.
>> Anyone see this too?

>> To answer my own post, the other recent post about setting
>> LD_ASSUME_KERNEL fixed my problem too!
>

> Indeed, unless LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 is set, hitting pause in
> mythmusic freezes mythfrontend GUI for a while (up to about 25 secs)
> and then pauses as was intended.
>
> Running like:
>
> LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 mythfrontend
>
> Makes mythmusic behave. Strange! Anybody with a theory?
>
> I'm running with the 2.4.22-1.2135.nptl_27.rhfc1.at kernel, but I've
> previously seen that for 2.6 kernels, rpm misbehaves unless
> LD_ASSUME_KERNEL is set.
>
> Whats the story with LD_ASSUME_KERNEL anyway? Googling just turns up a
> gazillion applications that need this setting.

Your kernel is a Native POSIX Thread Library (NPTL) compatible 2.4.x
kernel (i.e. includes a bunch of Red Hat patches), so most likely your
glibc is NPTL-based.  To verify, run:
/lib/libc.so.6
and look for something to the effect of "NPTL 0.61 by Ulrich Drepper"
(which means you're using NPTL).  If you don't see it, run:
objdump -x /lib/libpthread.so.0 | grep "nptl_main"
and if you get any output you're using NPTL.

Setting LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 uses the "old" standard linuxthreads
(basically disables NPTL support by using a non-NPTL glibc on your
system).  My guess is you have a MythMusic plugin compiled with
linuxthreads and something in it doesn't play nice with NPTL.  Where/how
did you get MythMusic?

Mike