[mythtv-users] re:MythTV production run

Bill Chmura Bill at Explosivo.com
Tue May 4 20:44:08 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 04 May 2004 07:12 pm, Chris Petersen wrote:
> > 5 years is crazy for this... the entertainment field is constantly
> > changing. If you took mythtv and spent five years overhauling, you would
> > be 5 years behind when you finished it.  Not to mention the technology
> > changing.
>
> he said "5 man-years," not "5 years"...  5 man-years could be 30 people
> working for 2 months.  It's still a long time.

Ah your right... Can't believe I missed that part.  2 months would be
acceptable, but why does myth need all that work anyway?  Seems that with a
feature freeze, it should be able to stablilze much faster than that.

> > Cable companies are starting to develop ways to compete with Tivo...
> > Pretty soon the Cable box will have a DVR built in for only a higher
> > monthly fee. Everything I read says Tivo is going to be in trouble from
> > all the competition coming along.
>
> Yes and no.  Remember, Tivo is owned by DirectTV, who has licensed Tivo
> technology to at least a couple of other providers.

> > The one thought that sounded good was building a real high end box...  If
> > you did that, got some advertising in some of the audiophile magazines
> > then maybe you could sell some high end system...  You know... DVR of the
> > rich and famous...
>
> I have to agree here.  The low-end market will soon be saturated with
> low-end solutions (people are finally realizing that setting up a DVR
> can be easier than getting rid of the old blinking 12:00 on the VCR).
> Getting into the high-end market might be viable (I know nothing about
> it), especially since myth does a LOT more than just record TV.  You
> still have to worry about CSS fees.

What is CSS?

> On the other hand (CSS fees aside), setting up a few classes to teach
> people how to put together a computer and install linux, with the
> outcome being a working mythtv box, would be a great way for a few of us
> to earn some extra $$$.
>
> -Chris

- --

Bill Chmura

w. http://www.fistfullofcode.com
w. http://www.explosivo.com

"No matter what, never, ever, ever, ever tell your girl friend she is looking
a little puffy."
- -Ancient chinese proverb

"Some people go to bed with Lucifer, then they cry when they don't greet the
day with God"
- -Monster Magnet

Without good motivation, science and technology, instead of helping, bring
more fear and threaten global destruction. Compassionate thought is very
important for humankind.
- -His Holiness the Dalai Lama