[mythtv-users] re:MythTV production run

Bill Chmura Bill at Explosivo.com
Tue May 4 18:37:55 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 04 May 2004 06:25 pm, Peter Valdemar Morch wrote:
> Mike Smith mythtvyahoomike-at-hotmail.com |Lists| wrote:
> > ...writing drivers for ... capture card/mpeg encoder/mpeg decoder,
> > which should be done in about 1 man-year.
> >
> > ... an overhaul on mythtv would take about 5 man-year or maybe less?
>
> Where did you get these numbers from? What would you like to change?
>
> > Any other major hurdles for a startup company?
>
> You realize, of course, that once you've put in the 6 man years
> modifying GPL'ed source code, you're going to have to ship the modified
> source code with every unit, and allow anybody to copy/redistribute all
> your work because of the GPL license, right?
>
> Makes it real easy for me to come along and compete with you once you've
> put in the marketing to develop the market and have changed whatever it
> is you want to change during these unspecified 6 years.
>
> The GPL is an amazing piece of work. Brilliant engineering!

Luckly SCO dropped its "GPL is unconstitutional" case...

Maybe the best bet is to just offer pay per call support for mythtv...

> Peter

- --

Bill Chmura

w. http://www.fistfullofcode.com
w. http://www.explosivo.com

"No matter what, never, ever, ever, ever tell your girl friend she is looking
a little puffy."
- -Ancient chinese proverb

"Some people go to bed with Lucifer, then they cry when they don't greet the
day with God"
- -Monster Magnet

Without good motivation, science and technology, instead of helping, bring
more fear and threaten global destruction. Compassionate thought is very
important for humankind.
- -His Holiness the Dalai Lama