[mythtv-users] prebuilt pvrs for developers benefit?

daryl faulds nannyseeker2003 at yahoo.com
Tue May 4 13:16:16 EDT 2004

--- Chris Petersen <lists at forevermore.net> wrote:
> > On the other hand, I have seen a viable market
> (here
> > in the SF Bay area anyway) for essentially MythTV
> > build-it classes where support and hardware are
> > supplied. A rented conference room and some
> marketing
> > and you're off and running.
>
> ok, now THAT is a cool idea....  offer a class for
> $750-1000, hardware
> included, preregistration with a cancellation fee
> (to cover cost of
> returning the hardware).  You'll know in advance how
> many people in the
> class, and can order hardware in bulk, even if it's
> only a handful, if
> you're ordering 5-10 machines' worth of hardware, a
> vendor will at least
> cut you a small deal.
>
> The trouble is advertising the classes, and getting
> enough people to
> make it worthwhile, but not so many that you're
> overwhelmed.
>
> If you started from scratch, the classes could also
> be billed as
> instruction in building your own box, learning how
> to install linux in
> general, etc.  Heck, since we could standardize
> hardware (regional
> variances of tuner types aside) and distro, could
> even make a decent
> worldwide support network (not that this list isn't
> one already).
>
> I'm in if people in Seattle are interested.  I have
> the hardware
> contacts through work, and can probably even get use
> of our office space
> for a relatively small fee (of course, there's no
> cable tv here, which
> would cause a problem, but we have everything else
> needed for computer
> construction in abundance)
>
> -Chris

The advertising here is not such a big problem. We
have a regional (SFBay) craigslist that works for me
for tech stuff. I'm not sure Seattle has a regional.

That price point is about right, it goes on the
never-never Master Card or Visa any way. I have been
strongly urged to run classes for MythTV here. So many
folks want their entertainment to be at home and home
theater is a real hobby for them. The selling point is
that when those hobbyists go out the door the box
works.