Mapping keys and remotes was RE: [mythtv-users] references to "significant other"

Tony Maro tony at maro.net
Tue May 4 01:03:24 EDT 2004

The Werpys wrote:

> Simon Kenyon wrote:

>>>Funny you should mention this.  I've given control of the myth to my kids -
>>>8 and 5. Their biggest complaint is that they need a reference sheet to use
>>>the remote. Or that the keyboard needs some work w/r/t mapping.  I've
>>>looked around for some way to have either an overlay or some kind of guide
>>>that will pop-up.  Is there such an animal?  So that if the kids hit F1, a
>>>big help screen comes up.  Or did I just miss that part of the install?
>>>

>>my point exactly
>>fix myth because it is broken not because of some magical WAF

Okay, well I dunno what MythTV you guys use, but to use mine is
basically just a few keys.

Here they are as labeled on my universal remote, and what they do:

First, select "CABLE" for the function - this controls all my MythTV
aspects.  If you'd rather, there's also a DVD, VCR, TV, SAT and STEREO
function, but we'll stick to the Myth functions for today.

up - moves up
down - moves down
left - moves left
right - take a guess
select - well... selects what's highlighted!
menu - opens the menu
guide - brings up the program guide
info - info on whats playing now
pause - pause / then play when hit again
ffwd - skip commercials
rwd - back commercials
exit - exit
0-9 - change channels directly
VOL+/-   (not hard, this one)
CHAN+/- (ditto)

Those are all the buttons I need to use all the features of Myth on a
daily basis.  Mostly just directions, select and exit.  My 8 year old
does quite well with it and my 2 year old even knows how to pause a show ;-)

Using this I can even edit out commercials (Menu + "DOWN" to edit
recording + "SELECT")
or schedule a recording ("GUIDE" + "DOWN" to get to selection + "SELECT"
to set to record)

Have _I_ missed something?  This is all using my $20 six function
"one4all" Wal-Mart special remote control and it's even easier than when
I had digital cable.  I think you guys are making it more complex than
it really is.

And I do NOT even have a keyboard attached - it's all controlled using LIRC.

-Tony