[mythtv-users] Linux standalone playback of MPEG4-encoded NUV files?

Mark Haun haunma at keteu.org
Mon May 3 21:48:11 EDT 2004

I have an incredibly simple problem, but haven't seen any recent postings
addressing it, nor anything in the documentation, so here goes:

I would like to transfer some NUV files from my working MythTV installation
to a laptop for later viewing.  These are MPEG4-encoded files.  So far, the
only suggestions I have been able to glean from the archives are

1)  Recent versions of mplayer.  But according to the documentation, this
does not support MPEG4 NUV files.  There is mention of a patch (in the
ancient records...); it is not clear whether this is the same functionality
which is now incorporated into the pre1.0 series.

2)  Windows Media Player using the directshow filters at
dsmyth.sourceforge.net.  I tried this (it works), but I want to view the
files on a laptop without a windows partition.  Anyway, I'm sure there's a
better way on Linux; that's there they were recorded in the first place,
after all.

I don't want to transcode, just play these in their original format.  Also,
I don't have fast net access to my remote backend server, so streaming the
video is not an option.  Any other suggestions?

Mark