[mythtv-users] prebuilt pvrs for developers benefit?

James Orr james at orrwhat.net
Mon May 3 16:41:33 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 15:52, sukeband at vzavenue.net wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I know the subject of selling commercial mythtv boxes has
> been probably talked about to death, but I’d hate to see
> talents and skill of the major developers on this, go
> unrewarded monetarily. I’ve been playing around with the
> software for a few months now and, I feel like it's nothing
> short of brilliant.
>
> Is anyone adverse to the idea of marketing prebuilt systems
> and having any some of generated go to the major developers?
> Does anyone see a fairly large market for these? If this is
> the case, I don’t see a problem taking advantage of that, if
> it went towards the betterment of the players in the
> community, especially the people that made this project
> possible?

The problem I see with selling prebuilt Myth boxes is ... who is your
market?

Somebody who just wants a PVR will buy a TiVo.  There's no way somebody
could compete with TiVo's price reselling standard PC hardware.  You
could probably even get a TiVo + DVD player for less than you'd have to
pay for a Myth box.

I read somewhere (forget where) a "Who should use MythTV".  Basically,
if you know or are interested in learning linux AND you have either
spare hardware or money to burn, use MythTV.

I managed to get mine running quite cheaply, i've only spent about $140
so far, but that's only because I had most of the hardware already.

Plus, there is the support/upgrade issue.  Do you want to start a 24/7
hotline :)?

--
James Orr <james at orrwhat.net>