[mythtv-users] ati_remote and kernel 2.6.5 with X10 "lola" remote?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun May 2 21:44:09 EDT 2004

Bryan Halter wrote:

>Will I actually set this up the other night.  Get LIRC .7p4 and compile
>it with the atiusb driver.  Also get the kernel patch to include LIRC in
>the kernel and build the appropriate modules.  Then follow the remote
>information in Jarrod's guide.
>
>Bryan
>On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 15:53, Will Dormann wrote:
>

>>Ok, I've been playing around with getting the ati_remote module to work on
>>my 2.6.5 system.
>>
>>The module loads OK, but I can't figure out what to do with it at that point.
>>dmesg shows:
>>drivers/usb/core/usb.c: registered new driver ati_remote
>>drivers/usb/input/ati_remote.c: Registered USB driver ATI/X10 RF USB Remote
>>Control v. 2.2.0

For anyone reading this thread looking for answers (since Will already
found his answer)...

The Linux kernel has built-in support for the ATI/X10 Remote Wonder as
of version 2.6.5.  The kernel module ati_remote is based on ati_remote
from the GATOS project ( http://gatos.sourceforge.net/ati_remote.php ).
The GATOS module supports Linux 2.4.x only and is no longer supported.

It is also possible to get the Remote Wonder working with LIRC versions
0.7.0+ (currently 0.7.0pre4 is available at
http://lirc.sourceforge.net/software/snapshots/ ).  LIRC uses the
lirc_atiusb kernel modules.

Only one of these two modules should be (can be?) used at a time.  Each
has its own benefits (in my opinion, the built-in kernel module is easy
to set up but only sends keys to the focused application, and LIRC can
send keys/commands/X events to specific applications and more but is
much more difficult to set up--especially on Linux 2.6.x).  Note that
Will is using the built-in kernel module and Bryan is using LIRC.

HTH.

Mike