[mythtv-users] interlaced vs not?

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Sat May 1 13:05:03 EDT 2004

> Wow.  They sure filled you full of it at Computer City.

Apparently so....  Although I had just interpreted the monitor-type
interlacing as the non-computer type:

interlaced:
     1. To connect by or as if by lacing together; interweave.
     2. To intersperse; intermix: interlaced the testimony with
        half-truths.

In this way, bathroom tiles would be non-interlaced (like a trinitron),
and bricks would be interlaced (like pre-trinitron monitors)...  Before
trinitrons came along, the pixels of most monitors were arranged in a
brick-type pattern, thus, people started calling them non-interlaced
when trinitrons came out, with those nice even lines of pixels.

However, You are probably correct in that they informed us badly.  the
"brick" pattern of pixels was probably designed so that
video-interlacing would be less obvious (since the pixels were
"interlaced" vertically, not horizontally)..  Dunno, either way, this is
completely off topic, but good to be straigtened out.

But it still doesn't help me figure out if my source is interlaced or
not...  I just have a standard analog cable setup, going into a PCTV Pro
tuner card.  I'm assuming that this signal is NOT interlaced, but I'm
warry of just assuming things.

-Chris