[mythtv-users] Help with install

William wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Wed Mar 31 15:36:40 EST 2004

-----Original Message-----
I need help with my installation:
I'm using the following guide http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php the
problem I am having is early on in the installation process. After running
the following command from section 6:
# apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
it seems to update fine without any problems. When I go to the next step
which is editing the sources.list and doing another update:
# apt-get update
I get the following error"
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
E: could not open RPM database

Two things.

1. Please dont post to the list in html (like this message). Plain text is
much easier on the eye and is the accepted way things are done.  Also many
linux mail reader programs just spew garbage when reading html messages.

2. Apt-get must be run as root so you will need to either log in as root or
'su' to root before running apt.