[mythtv-users] Using DVD writer as primary DVD drive?

papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Wed Mar 31 08:59:56 EST 2004

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Franco wrote:

> (trying to sum up with a single answer to all the postings):
>
> YES, DVDs mount very well, but after that, whether I try
> to make an iso image with dd, or to copy the directory
> tree with cp, I always get an I/O error after a few megabytes
> of data.

	That would most likely be CSS encryption preventing what you are trying
to do.  With appropriately installed DeCSS software, you can run:

vobcopy -i /dev/dvd -o /scratch/DVDNAME -m

That'll decrypt and mirror the entire contents of the DVD into /scratch/DVDNAME
directory.  If you then want it in a DVD UDF image format:

mkisofs -dvd-video -o /scratch/DVDNAME.img /scratch/DVDNAME

* The prime directive of Linux:  					*
* 	- learn what you don't know, 					*
* 	- teach what you do.						*
* 						(Just my 20 USm$)	*