[mythtv-users] Can't capture using PVR250

jishywa at pop-server.wi.rr.com jishywa at pop-server.wi.rr.com
Tue Mar 30 14:37:54 EST 2004

I was getting this exact same problem. The way I solved it was by ditching
the atrpm kernel and downloading the 2.4.25 sources from kernel.org. Then I
got the 2.4.25 patch from the v4l2 website and patched my sources (gunzip
-c patch-kraxel-2.4.25.gz | patch -p1 from within the source tree).
Following that, copy config-whatever-fedoras-kernel-version from /boot to
/usr/src/linux/.config followed by a make menuconfig. The only thing I
changed was remove ACPI support since I've read its buggy with ivtv.

Then I followed the standard make bzImage, make modules, make
modules_install and copied the necessary files, and rebooted. Next,
download the 0.1.9 ivtv sources from their website, also go to hauppauge's
website and download the driver firmware (mine was
pvr250_some_numbers.exe), go into the utils dir of the ivtv package, run
the ivtvfwextract script. Basically just follow the normal instructions for
installing ivtv. Edit the makefile to point kerneldir at /usr/src/linux and
type make and that should be it.

When I tried to compile ivtv using the atrpms kernel source package I got
all sorts of errors making the modules so I gave up. This is probably a lot
more work than most people like doing but it worked for me :) The only
downside so far is I cant use precompiled kernel module packages, but I
like compiling that kind of thing from source anyway.

Good luck,
Josh

(all this was on fedora core 1 by the way, just in case theres any
discrepency. anything i didn't cover i probably just followed jarod's guide
for)