[mythtv-users] HDTV with Comcast

Tony Brummett tony at blight.com
Tue Mar 30 11:05:37 EST 2004

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 07:50:07PM -0800, Ian Forde wrote:
> Well... it sort of does and sort of doesn't.  I just did a little
> googling and found project Coriander.  One of the things is can
> purportedly do is export firewire to a v4l interface.  But it's a GNOME
> app, so there would probably need to be some hacking done to automate it
> to the point that it's usable from within myth...

A friend of mine has the Comcast HDTV box with the firewire ports enabled,
although I don't remember the model number.  Last night, we tried out
Coriander, and it refused to start, saying that there weren't any cameras
connected; obviously, the cable box dosen't identify itself as a camera.

He does have a program written by someone from the avsforums that we
were able to use to pull video from the box.  It comes across as an
mpeg transport stream that mplayer was able to play.

I'm going to setup a machine to leave at his place this weekend so I can
try to get MythTV to record from it.  It'll likely be slow going, as I'm
not familliar with the code yet.

-- Tony  tony at blight.com