[mythtv-users] Stop showing TV when idle?

Billy Macdonald whmac33 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 30 10:01:54 EST 2004

--- William <wmunson at rochester.rr.com> wrote:
> > I agree that the crashing is its own problem.  However, I also think
> > that the feature he recommends is a good idea.  Instead of having the
> > hard drives thrash endlessly, have mythtv back out after a
> > certain time,
> > say a four hour default.  Saves watts spent on CPU cycles,
> > saves life on
> > the hard drive.
> >
> > My 2 cents.
> >
> > Peter
>
> Not a good idea. I frequently leave the system running on a music channel
> all day long as I work around the house. I would be pissed if the box
> decided on its own to drop back to the menu after 4 hours. There are also
> times where I will watch one channel for 5 hours and again would be pissed
> if it decided on its own to drop to the menu in the middle of a show. Its
> not that hard to push the "back" button on the remote when you are shutting
> things down for the night.

Seems like a good idea to me if it were a configureable option that's off by
default.  Like
"Stop LiveTV if inactive"
"after x hrs of inactivity"
"Display cancel shutdown for x minutes"

Of course my wife and I never ever watch LiveTV via Myth, not sure why.  It's
just a fancy VCR for us so we haven't had the need for this type of feature.

Billy