[mythtv-users] Stop showing TV when idle?

Garry garry at sneakyninja.net
Tue Mar 30 15:09:10 EST 2004

Peter Sebastian Masny wrote:

> Brian May wrote:
>
>> It would be better if you could work out the source of the problem...
>>
>> There should be no good reason for mythfrontend to crash just because
>> it has been left on live mode for 24 hours. It would seem to indicate
>> a bug somewhere.
>

> I agree that the crashing is its own problem.  However, I also think
> that the feature he recommends is a good idea.  Instead of having the
> hard drives thrash endlessly, have mythtv back out after a certain
> time, say a four hour default.  Saves watts spent on CPU cycles, saves
> life on the hard drive.
>
> My 2 cents.
>
> Peter

I think is one of those ideas that are great until you think about how
to implement it, then it seems not great.

You would have to have a configurable time, after which it bails from
live TV. But, when you think about it, that's not a good idea.

Do you really want it to bail after a pre-set time? You're bound to be
in the middle of something, or even worse, your significant other will
be....

How about only overnight? Overnight according to system clock, tv guide
or voodoo?

and so on.....

Just my $0.02c (or should that be 2p)

-Garry

--
"From yourself, you can't run away." - Killswitch Engage.