[mythtv-users] cheap TV-Card

Tony Maro tony at maro.net
Mon Mar 29 21:22:26 EST 2004

Maarten wrote:
  > I do think it is a bad card.  I tried running the Xawtv 'scantv -a'
tool but
> it really only finds like 10 or 15 of the total 40 channels and they are
> ridden with interference too.  The whole process was really aggravating,
> luckily I eventually managed to get the second card working, thereby pointing
> to a serious flaw in the first card.

If a card is detected improperly, it might cause this as well.  My tuner
type was set wrong by default and gave the results you describe.  I
could tune to a few channels, but the quality was extremely poor.  I
exchanged the card and got the same results.  Finally I learned you
needed to add the tuner type to the modules.conf to get it to work right.

For some reason the FIRST time I installed it, I didn't have this
problem.  It was only after a reformat and second install that this
happened and at first I thought I'd fried the card somehow.

So perhaps one tuner is set properly and the other isn't...