[mythtv-users] Quality of Hardware vs. Software encoding

D Banerjee davatar at comcast.net
Mon Mar 29 22:28:06 EST 2004

>From my recent personal experience:

PVR output looks a little "soft" (yes I tried turning of dnr). Also you have
to wait until the recording is done for commercial detection :(

I vote for software with filters. It will only get better in the future..
i.e. comb filters.
http://students.washington.edu/ldubb/computer/Read_Me_Guava_Comb.htm The
pvr-250 doesn't have this AFAIK.

However recently with the monster machine I've been putting these cards in
I'd think it would just be wiser to just get a very slow cpu and one or two
very large hard drives. Save a few hundred watts, and not worry about
overheating in the summer.