[mythtv-users] cheap TV-Card

Matt R. mattr at erols.com
Mon Mar 29 20:00:04 EST 2004

Maarten wrote:

>... One of the cards is defective though; it cannot tune to much
>of the channels although the other card has no problems with these channels.

I just thought I'd mention...  In the case of at least some tuner cards
(the defunct STB Videorage II for one), the tuner itself can be
"tuned."  That particular card has holes in the tuner cover which reveal
the variable resistors contained therein.  For other makes and models,
there may be similar resistors hidden behind the cover (you may have to
pry it off... carefully).  It might be worth a peek.  Some of the more
expensive tuner cards may have self-tuning capabilites.  Some of the
cheaper ones may have NON-adjustable resistors responsible for the
tuning (in which case, your best bet is to "go through [its] pockets and
look for loose change").  In any case, good luck with whatever you do.
Let me know if you (try and) succeed at tuning your tuner.