[mythtv-users] Help spend my money, hardware specs on backend/frontend

James Armstrong james at thearmstrongs.org
Mon Mar 29 08:38:00 EST 2004

I have the useless Via133 chipset and need a new backend / frontend. I
was going to use my Athlon 900 for the backend and get a new frontend
capable of playing HDTV until the 900 started having DMA problems. My
question is, what will I need to have a combined backend/frontend
capable of recording from two PVR250's and one pcHDTV card and watch at
the same time? Will one of the following processors be better: P4 2.8Ghz
HT with 1Meg cache, P4 3Ghz HT 512 cache, P4 3.2Ghz HT 512 cache. Those
are also the order of lowest to highest price. The difference is not
much, will the 1meg cache make more difference than the higher speeds?
Is 200Mhz more speed worth $60? Can I have three tuners (one being HDTV)
and possibly record from all and watch tv too (HDTV being worse case) or
will I still need a dedicated backend?

- James