[mythtv-users] Using DVD writer as primary DVD drive?

papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Mon Mar 29 08:22:01 EST 2004

	If you're referring to the fierce spinups associated with some CD/DVD
drives, I believe that you can set the maxiumu speed of the drive with hdparm.
If you set it to 1x or 2x, you should be able to play in realtime without
skipping or jet-like spinups.  Of course, for ripping/etc you might want to
undo that and make it go full-tilt.

	Just a though...

-Cory

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Jeppe N. Madsen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to buy a DVD drive for my myth frontend. I also need a DVD
> writer. Are anybody using a DVD writer as their primary DVD drive?
>
> I'm mostly concerned about the noise level during playback. Any
> recommendations?
>
> rgds
> Jeppe

* The prime directive of Linux:  					*