[mythtv-users] Re: nforce and SPDIF

Robert La Ferla robertlaferla at comcast.net
Sun Mar 28 23:52:12 EST 2004

"skd5aner" <skd5aner at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I've been reading up for over a week now and planning on purchasing
> my hardware really soon to build my first MythTV box!  I'm fairly
> indecisive
> because I always want to make sure that I have the right equipment for
> my
> needs.  Right now, I'm stuck on the motherboard.  I've been looking
> for a
> nForce board that has the on-board audio with the MCP-T.  I've read
> that
> this is a decent fit for linux and MythTV with the built in SPDIF.
> But now
> I'm starting to confuse myself the more I read.  Some people say it's
> horrible, others say it's great. So, what's the truth?
>
> Also, do I want SPDIF in, out, or both?!?!  That's the other part I'm
> getting confused on.  Right now it looks like mainly SPDIF out, but can
> someone explain to me how sound is recorded again?

I'm using a Shuttle SN41G2 (small form factor w/nForce +MCP-T) but then
again, I haven't installed MythTV yet.  I have SPDIF out working with
ALSA and can play DVDs with Xine.  I just installed the Leadtek Winfast
tuner and hope to have it working soon so I can start using MythTV in
all it's glory.  You want at least SPDIF output.  This basically will
allow you have a digital audio connection between your computer and
your stereo (assuming it has a SPDIF input.)  I don't think you need
SPDIF input on the computer unless you are planning to use your
computer to process sound from an external device like an external
tuner.  The audio input for MythTv comes from the tuner card itself.
No need for SPDIF there.