[mythtv-users] resolution confusion

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Sun Mar 28 09:43:29 EST 2004

Vince LaMonica wrote:

>1) If I change the default recording profile to 720px width by 480px
>height, I'll increase the disc space used, but i should still be able to
>view the recordings on the Myth box, right? [i want to record in 720x480
>so i can easily burn DVDs of myth-recorded tv on my Mac]. I want to be
>able to [obivously] view the recordings even if I do step 2 below:

No, increasing the capture size doesn't increase the disk space that's
used your bit rate does that.  If you increase your capture size without
increasing your bitrate you'll end up with a file the same size (but
with potentially more compression artifacts).  You might want to try
704x480, which is more than big enough for NTSC TV and is one of the
official DVD resolutions.