Subject: [mythtv-users] audio hiss

Gregory J. McGee gjmcgee at cableone.net
Sat Mar 27 21:51:14 EST 2004

Try the oss driver. (i810_audio) I had to for the same reason,
amongst others. (FIC AU11 in use here (NF2))

I had fits with ALSA, used it for a long time, but never could quite get
it right with myth on my board. .

I even bought a "Hercules Muse LT" (cmipci), but its noise was 2x as
bad.(output is clean... recording sucks---hissssssssss) I may try to use
it for surround output, and it's digital out probably works.
Right now it's taking up a slot probably destined for a PVR250 or m179.

If you are using anything but Debian, just comment out anything alsa
related in modules.conf or modprobe.conf (2.4/2.6 depending) and
/etc/modules if your distro uses it, (also remember modprobe.preload)

(I never managed to grok Debians module config setup. I punted and
installed Mandrake Cooker and was fully up and watching recordings in ~1
hour after all the practice I had attempting to get Myth working right
in Debian/Knoppmyth. Most of that hour was downloading and xmltv sync
time.)

Load i810_audio by whatever means, install aumix, and mute as
appropriate, it will actually use and reload your settings on restart...
(Not reliable with ALSA from what I saw)

Also make sure any unused inputs (cdrom/aux/mic) are muted, I get noise
from a busy HD if CD input gets left on.

--
Gregory J. McGee <gjmcgee at cableone.net>