[mythtv-users] Ivtv DMA errors

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sat Mar 27 00:11:28 EST 2004

On Mar 26, 2004, at 15:33, Ryan Brancheau (US) wrote:

> Okay, here's the situation:  I have been getting lockups and freezes
> on my PVR-350 (but hey, who hasn't been?).  I've got an MSI 6378
> micro-atx mobo with a VIA KLE-133 chipset, which I'm not sure is one
> of the one's notorious for DMA problems, but it's probably just a
> different rev of one of the one's that are.  So, I tried installing a
> PCI IDE controller, and disabling the on-board.  So I picked up an
> SIIG UltraATA133 controller and slapped it in.  And about 45 minutes
> into watching ESPN (going for high-motion) screen is completely blank
> again, and got this dmesg |grep ivtv output:
>
> ivtv: version 0.1.9 (release) loading
> ivtv: SGarray_size = 340, DSGarray_size = 56
> ivtv: Found an iTVC15 based chip
> ivtv: Unreasonably low latency timer, setting to 64 (was 32)
> saa7127: Configuring encoder...<6>saa7114.c: starting probe for
> adapter ivtv i2c driver #0 (0x10005)
> ivtv: Encoder revision: 0x02040011
> ivtv: Decoder revision: 0x02020023
> ivtv: Registered v4l2 device, minor 0
> ivtv: Registered v4l2 device, minor 32
> ivtv: Registered v4l2 device, minor 224
> ivtv: Registered v4l2 device, minor 16
> ivtv: Registered v4l2 device, minor 48
> ivtv: loaded
> ivtv-fb: Framebuffer module loaded (attached to ivtv card id 0)
> ivtv-fb: screen coords: [0 0] -> [720 480]
> ivtv-fb: original global alpha = 208
> ivtv-fb: new global alpha = 208
> ivtv-fb: current OSD state = 35
> ivtv-fb: warning: cannot reserve video memory at 0xe1510000
> ivtv-fb: framebuffer at 0xe1510000, mapped to 0xe2204000, size 2818k
> ivtv-fb: mode is 720x480x32, linelength=2880
> ivtv: DMA read error. Result=0x00000002
> ivtv: DMA read error. Result=0x00000002
> ivtv: DMA read error. Result=0x00000002
[snip]
> ivtv: DMA read error. Result=0x00000002
> ivtv: ivtv_dec_timeout: lost IRQ; resetting...
> ivtv: DEC: unknown stream type 1
> ivtv: DEC: unknown stream type 1
> ivtv: DEC: unknown stream type 1
> ivtv: DEC: unknown stream type 1
> ivtv: stopDEC error 2. Code -16
> ivtv-fb: error sending DMA info
> The first memory message happens every time ivtv loads, don't know if
> this is part of the problem or how to disable it.  Any thoughts?

The VIA 133-series chipsets are the worst offenders with ivtv, and even
a PCI ATA card isn't a guaranteed fix, according to the ivtv wiki.

> Just noticed that the PVR-350 is sharing IRQ 10 with the VGA, don't
> know if that's a show-stopper or what...

Shouldn't be, but you never know...

> I also noticed that my integrated IDE seems to still be registering,
> even though it is in fact disabled in the CMOS.

Linux usually ignores the BIOS settings for ATA controllers, because so
many boards have crappy/broken BIOSes...

> I apologize for the length, but list users often complain about too
> little information in initial posts so I thought I'd send everything
> that seems relevant :)

Better to give too much than too little, yes.

> Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, even if it's
> "go get a real motherboard".

"Got get a real motherboard." ;-)

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE