[mythtv-users] live tv audio problems

Scott Francis scott.francis at newisys.com
Fri Mar 26 12:23:09 EST 2004

What kind of TV card are you using?

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org [mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org]On Behalf Of rolando rozas
Sent: Friday, March 26, 2004 11:04 AM
To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
Subject: [mythtv-users] live tv audio problems

Hi there,

I'm a new user of mythtv. I've recently installed mythtv_0.14 (on my Mandrake 9.2 with kernel 2.4.22 using the GNOME desktop) and several problems have been appearing. When using liveTV, there is a big playback slowdown and the audio is out of sync. In this situation, mythfrontend prompts:

> Audio buffer overflow, audio data lost.

At the begining I thought my PC configuration just couldn't do it (AMD K6-III @400, 256 MB SDRAM), but I recorded a sample of 10 min of a TV show, and, to my surprise, when watching it, there was no audio at all! No need to say that the playback slowdown was also there. Moreover, while mythbackend recording, mythfrontend tends to freeze with the minimum overhead.

My livetv configuration compresses video with RTJpeg and audio with MP3 at 33200 samples/sec. I use /dev/dsp as audio device, /dev/mixer as audio mixer and I've linked the audio output of my MIro pctv tv card to my sound blaster 128. I've no sync problem watching TV with xawtv.

I've the funny feeling that what I hear watching livetv is the sound coming directly from my sound card instead of the livetv buffer.

What's the problem? It's only my poor CPU speed to blame? Any solutions?

Thank you all for your answers.

  Xavier

Ya.com ADSL Router Wi-Fi: Sólo 29,90 EUR/mes + IVA*. Router + Antivirus y firewall ĄGratis! <http://ir.ya.com/app/redir?o=2&prefix=isp_ya_com_&tgt=810&afiliado=footer>
Planea ya tus vacaciones de Semana Santa con  <http://mapas.ya.com> nuestros mapas