[mythtv-users] analogue tv

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Fri Mar 26 10:52:48 EST 2004

At 03:35 PM 3/26/2004 +0000, sthornton1 at supanet.com wrote:

>Hello
>
>I'll keep this message short as I don't really want to waste your time. I
>was really sold on this idea by someone I met on a Novell course recently.
>
>My problem is I do not understand whether I need to get digital TV in my
>home. I would gladly do this but is analog TV going to work with this set
>up - does it work this way?

Assuming that by "digital TV" you mean a digital service from your cable or
satellite provider ... yes, a Myth setup will work just fine with "analog
TV". Most video-capture cards include tuners that tune the standard (USA)
range of about 125 broadcast and cable channels. Generally speaking, if
your ordinary TV set can receive the channel, so can your Myth host.

To use Myth with digial services, you need to use a Composite or sVideo
input on a video-capture card and get the signal from an appropriate output
on the supplier's digital converter. In this case, you use the external
digital converter to select channels, not the vidcap card's own tuner ... a
procedure that has some intricacies, which you can read about in the Myth
HowTo and this list's archives.

Bottom line: Myth hosts work just fine with normal analog TV feeds.