[mythtv-users] KDE startup freeze with nvidia-graphics4363

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 26 08:57:54 EST 2004

On Thursday 25 March 2004 23:06, Andrea Palisca wrote:
> Cecil,
>
> thanks for replying. I already did that and removed the nvidia
> driver. I then installed the latest version available via apt and,
> although KDE starts up fine, the SVIDEO output quality is worse.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestion on how to get KDE to get past the
> 'restoring session' phase, so that I can use version 4363?
>
> Thanks,
> Andrea

> Hello,
>
> Andrea Palisca wrote:
> >I'm running KDE 3.2 and Redhat 9 Fedora Core. When I updated from
> > the default (installed by redhat) video drivers to
> > nvidia-graphics4363, KDE stopped working: it freezes after login
> > during the "Restoring Session" phase. The KDE splash-screen never
> > goes away and the system becomes non-responsive (mouse works but
> > everything else is dead).
> >
> >Any help is greatly appreciated.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Andrea
>
> Edit the configuration file, XF86Config(I believe w/ RedHat/Fedora).
> Change the driver from nvidia to nv.  If KDE is able to start then
> perhaps a different version of the nVidia driver.
>
> Cecil

It may not be the driver that's causing your problem, as I had the same
problem (I can't remember if I was running in a VNC session or under
native MkLinux, but either way it wasn't using the nvidia driver).  I
found that it was hanging when trying to start Kicker (the KDE panel).
If I switched to another virtual terminal (or ssh'd in) and killed the
hung kicker process (or maybe it was a kdeinit process that was
controlling kicker, I can't remember), then the rest of the KDE desktop
came up very quickly.  I was then able to start Kicker manually from an
xterm and it came up just fine.

HTH,

JAC