[mythtv-users] Re: The OfficeMax hard drives we all talked about

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 26 08:52:40 EST 2004

On Wednesday 24 March 2004 13:38, Garry wrote:

[snip]

> As a guy from England, I have no idea what this rebate thing is all
> about! (Well, ok, I can guess)
>
> Sounds like a lot of hassle. Is it just a scam to get lazy people to
> pay more? Not looking for a flaming, just curious as we have nothing
> like that over here... But then again, I pay more for my goodies.

Yep, you've hit the nail on the head... mail-in rebates are a way that a
manufacturer (or reseller) can advertise a lower price than what you
actually pay at the cash register.  In order to get the rebate, usually
you must mail in a completed rebate form, together with proof of
purchase (usually a dated sales receipt + a clipping from the product
package, like a serial number).  There are usually all kinds of
restrictions on rebates regarding eligibility dates and the like.  I
once purchased a rebate item from Circuit City and discovered that the
rebate was only valid if the mail-in form was postmarked no later than
that very day... I never rushed to the post office so fast!

Needless to say, companies that offer mail-in rebates count on a certain
percentage of them never being filed due to laziness, forgetfulness, or
incomplete applications.  So the short answer is "yes", it is just a
scam to get lazy people to pay more :-)

-JAC