[mythtv-users] HDTV with Comcast

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Fri Mar 26 00:46:08 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-24 at 21:49, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Mar 24, 2004, at 19:50, Ian Forde wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2004-03-24 at 19:10, Jared Luxenberg wrote:
> >> Video4Linux doesn't support Firewire?  If it does, wouldn't it be
> >> trivial to
> >> get it working in MythTV?
> >
> > Well... it sort of does and sort of doesn't.  I just did a little
> > googling and found project Coriander.  One of the things is can
> > purportedly do is export firewire to a v4l interface.  But it's a GNOME
> > app, so there would probably need to be some hacking done to automate
> > it
> > to the point that it's usable from within myth...
>
> Exactly. Just because something has some modicum of video4linux support
> doesn't mean it'll just work with Myth. I think if it really was
> trivial, it'd already be done.

Absolutely true.  Jarod - you have one of the Comcast HDTV boxes,
right?  Does the myth box you have nearby have a firewire port? ;)
Running Coriander to set up a /dev/videoX port and doing the basic 'cat
/dev/videoX > /tmp/test.mpg' test (followed, of course, by 'mplayer
/tmp/test.mpg' might serve as a basic proof-of-concept, right?

I have firewire on my frontend, but I haven't picked up a DCT-6xxx box
yet.  (Only DCT-5100 boxes available from the local Comcast office for
now...)

	-I