[mythtv-users] Getting sound from LiveTV through PCI bus

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Thu Mar 25 18:30:16 EST 2004

Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> On Thursday 25 March 2004 15:27, Bruce Markey wrote:
>>I now see btaudio as a limitation to be avoided unless necessary
>>and patching into a good sound card of your choice as the better
>>approach.
>

> Yes, but you're forgetting some important reasons for using btaudio:

I hope I'm not becoming forgetful ;-).

> - if your card supports it, it can make life a lot easier (no need to
> monkey around with sound card drivers, or play with mixer settings,
> muting & capture sources -- much less confusing for a newbie)

That sounds good that newbies can click the big red "btaudio"
button and their recording woes will be gone for life. However,
we've both been reading these lists for a long time and you know
as well as I that people drive themselves batty trying to figure
out btaudio too. However, ease of setup wasn't my point so much
as the assumption that btaudio must be pursued to achieve the
best results which I don't believe is true.

> - it's the only way for some folks to handle multiple tuner cards
> without having a separate sound card for each tuner

...and...

> - if the machine is backend-only, no need for a sound card at all

would be examples of "unless necessary" =). Just because there
is no alternative doesn't make it better. What concerns me is that
people have a tendancy to believe that even if there is a soundcard
available, using the patch cord is evil and assume that btaudio must
give better results. However, a soundcard ought to be able to give
as good or better results than whatever DSP the vendor put on the
TV card. If not, get a better soundcard ;-).

--  bjm