[mythtv-users] Re: The OfficeMax hard drives we all talked about

Lol Grant lolgrant at hotpop.com
Thu Mar 25 17:32:48 EST 2004

 > From: Tony Maro <tony at maro.net>
 >
 >Did anyone else buy one on a raincheck and have all the rebates rejected
 > for being outside the "rebate period"?
 >
 > I'm about to go down to OfficeMax for a refund of the HD.

Well, I did wonder about this myself. I asked at OfficeMax when I
picked up the rainchecked disk and they told me that the rebate period
had been extended (of course, they also gave me the wrong month's
rebate book, so I didn't want to necessarily take them at their word).

Anyway I called both rebate
companies (this was a $79.99 disk with two separate $30 rebates), explained
the situation, and after some delay while they consulted who knows
whom, both rebate companies said the same thing: the rebate *would* be
honored, but they recommended that I include an explanatory letter
along with the rebate submission detailing the exceptional
situation. So that's what I did, along with a copy of the raincheck
itself. I haven't been able to check the rebate status as yet.

I haven't knowingly lost a rebate yet (except for some Kbyte memory sticks
when I didn't notice it said only one per household, and I'd bought two),
but I am getting pretty sick of all the paperwork involved.  Maybe I'm just
beginning to value my time more that I used to. Must be getting old...

I may just start to avoid buying rebated items. This week, I
bought a KVM switch at Fry's and didn't even realise it came with a
rebate till they gave me the form at the checkout.

Dang. My first posting to myth-users and it's a rant...

__
Lol

For those of you who like to know about these things, my mythtv system
is running on an old HP-7975/AsusTek P4B-LA OEM Intel chipset mobo/
2GHz P4 CPU, because that' s what was spare when I got fed up with not being
able to predict exactly what my replaytv unit was actually going to
record at any time.
I added a Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu, 512M PC2100, 450GB of disk,
GeForce4 MX 420 and PVR-250 + AVerMedia M179 (both from ebay).
I mostly watch recorded TV in a small mplayer window while writing
code, so that means I almost never run mythfrontend, just mythweb and
mplayer, and it's very stable.
My main regret at this point is that the TV programming in general just
isn't
getting any better...