[mythtv-users] pvr 350, cant FF RW or skip using TV-Out

KMF katoom at pacbell.net
Thu Mar 25 10:49:11 EST 2004

Howdy!

On 2004.03.25 06:05, John Kuhn wrote:
> well after finally getting the TV-Out working on my PVR-350 properly
> (so i thought) it seems i cant actually use it for watching recorded
> shows for very long.  I cannot Fast Forward or Rewind or have mythtv
> automatically skip commericals or the entire box will freeze.

> I'm wondering if anyone with this same issue has actually corrected
> it and how they did it? I'm currently using KnoppMyth R4v2
> (wonderfull distro btw).

   When setting up my desktop with a PVR-350 and TV-Out I immediately
 encountered these types of problems using KnoppMyth V4R2 so when
 I set up my EPIA box used a different ivtv X driver from Matthias
 Badaire. It seems that people on the ivtv list were having good luck
 with solving these kinds of issues (at least back at the end of
 February). I just set up the EPIA yesterday so I can't make many
 claims except that it definitely works better than the soltion in
 V4R2 for me.

  The thread is here:
       http://www.poptix.net/ivtv/Feb-2004/msg00419.html

   You can't use the binary supplied in this thread with the V4R2
 distribution because it is incompatible with the version of ivtv
 supplied in KnoppMyth so you need to recompile a patched ivtv
 driver.  This has been bundled up nicely by Matthias on a web page
 where you can retrieve the appropriate ivtv source that will work
 with the ivtvdev binary X driver.

  Instructions for V4R2 follow, if interested:
  (this is just a recap of instruction you'll find on Matthias' site)

  - retrieve the ivtv tarball, ivtv-0.1.9a.tar.gz,  from

       http://membres.lycos.fr/badzzzz/

  - unpack into a convenient directory
  - cd ivtv/driver
  - make
  - if successful, make install will put the new objects in
    /lib/modules/2.4.21-xfs/kernel/drivers/media/video.
    (Don't worry, if you want to retrieve the old objects
     they are in /usr/local/lib/ivtv/driver and you can do
     a make install from there to get them back, check to
     be sure).

  - retrieve the binary X driver, ivtvdev_drv.o.gz, from

       http://membres.lycos.fr/badzzzz/

  - uncompress the driver and copy to /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/

  - Assuming you already have the XF86XConfig-4 file setup for
    TV-Out you just need to change the driver in the PVR-350
    device section.

    Replace the line containing

        Driver      "fbdev"

    with

        Driver      "ivtvdev"

  - If you can't unload the old ivtv modules
    (I couldn't, "device busy") then reboot and give it a whirl.

    Perhaps Matthias' fix will help you.  Let us know how
 it works out, for better or worse.

   Good luck!

--

    Kevin Flaherty