[mythtv-users] Backend suggestions please - h/ware & distro

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Mar 25 01:01:09 EST 2004

On Mar 24, 2004, at 15:36, Jon Whitear wrote:

> My questions:-
>
> (a) Is RH9 feasible as a backend box? I'm think I may need to go to
> Fedora
> Core 1 (and use Jarrod's guide!)

I used RHL9 for quite some time myself. Works just fine, and it can be
installed with relatively minor deviations from my doc.

> (b) Will FC1 support my DVB-T card?

I believe so. Don't have one, so I can't really say for sure. I vaguely
recall seeing either a kernel patch or a kernel module on ATrpms for
DVB. But I may be way out in left field on this one. I really only know
NTSC and ATSC.

> (c) Will this combination be powerful enough (hardware wise?) It won't
> be
> used as a frontend (in fact it won't normally be running X.)

Should be. A DVB card just dumps an mpeg2 stream to disk, no encoding
required, IIUC.

> (d) Will it be stable!?

Can't say for certain. Should be, but you never know until you try.

> (e) Is anybody else running diskless frontends? I'm no linux guru, and
> just want to get an idea of what I'm letting myself in for. Minimyth
> springs to mind.

Not yet, but its in my plans, since my remote frontend really needs
zero storage for anything but the OS. It isn't excessively difficult,
but it isn't the easiest thing around either.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/