[mythtv-users] lirc fails to start on bootup but works when run manually

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Mar 25 00:45:36 EST 2004

On Mar 24, 2004, at 19:49, homebreweverything wrote:

> I have setup a myth box and it's been working great, except on a
> reboot, lircd does not startup correctly. I have a PVR350 with the
> grey remote, Myth 0.14 compiled from CVS, lirc compiled from CVS on
> 3/24/2004, and ivtv 0.1.9, compiled from sources. I'm running RedHat
> 9.0 with a custom kernel.
>
> I have tried adding /sbin/modprobe lirc_i2c in the lircd init.d
> script, as well as modprobe ivtv. I've tried compiling Myth with and
> without native lirc support. I've tried moving the alais in
> modules.conf for lirc_i2c to the begining, after the path
> declarations, and after ivtv. I've also tried lirc-0.7pre2, which had
> the same problem, and lirc-0.7pre3, which didn't work at all, but I
> read on the lists that this distribution was broken.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?

Yes. Your ivtv driver must be loaded up before lirc_i2c can find the IR
receiver. I just load up mythbackend before lirc (S86 vs. S90), but you
could also kludge a modprobe lirc_i2c into your lircd init script,
which when modprobing lirc_i2c would also load up ivtv, because of the
add above statement in modules.conf.

And "homebreweverything"? Not if you're using Red Hat... Try LFS (or at
least Gentoo) if that's really your mantra. ;-)

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/