[mythtv-users] Recommended CPU speed

Will Dormann wd at pobox.com
Wed Mar 24 21:11:35 EST 2004

At 05:11 PM 3/24/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>What's everyone's thoughts on the CPU speed requirements for MythTV and
>DVD playing?  I've settled on the PVR250 for encoding, and it seems
>there are happy users with <2GHz processors.  I've even seen some
>Celeron users.  I was thinking of getting a 2.6GHz Celeron, but I've
>never had a Celeron.  The small cache makes me nervous.  Anyone getting
>good results with a Celeron watching DVDs, live TV and MPEG4 streams?  I
>assume MP3s are fine...

The P4-based Celeron chips are quite horrible performers.   They're easily
trounced by the low-end AMD Duron chips.   But there's nothing that my
MythTV machine does that really requires a lot of CPU power.    I picked a
2.0GHz Celeron to go along with my Pundit.   (I like the Pundit, so it was
the Intel route for me this time)

I guess an exception would be some of the filters.   My 2.0 chip won't
handle kerneldeint + denoise3d at the same time, so I just do the former.
It looks fine anyway, so I'm not concerned.

-WD